Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These little guys are a fast and healthy dinner for a family on the go. Don’t let some of the ingredients scare you! They come together for a delicious combination. These would be great in tortillas if you’d prefer but the crisp lettuce sort of ‘makes’ this dish. It’s healthy and crunchy and allows for you to really taste the chicken mix. I was inspired by PF Chang’s lettuce wraps which are so good! I didn’t have any of those crunchy fried noodle things they serve or any of their sauces. I doused mine in Siracha, because as I think I’ve mentioned before….. I have an addiction.
I had the lettuce wraps at PF Changs for the first time this past fall (I don’t get out much). I loved them. I was doing my normal activity of browsing Pinterest(shocking, I know) and came across a couple of “copy cat” recipes. A lot of them were terrible. Just from reading the ingredients I could tell that was NOT was PF’s was serving up. I sort of adapted a few of them and came up with this. It’s pretty darn close, I think!
Here’s my recipe!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced small
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Iceberg, or butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and drained
- Sriracha sauce, wasabi, spicy mustard sauce for dipped (optional)
- Roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- Fried bean noodles (optional)
- In a medium skillet on medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the ground meat and cook until it is cooked through. With a spatula, break it up into small chunks as it cooks (it will resemble ground beef).
- Stir in the onion, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and sriracha sauce until completely coated. Remove from heat.
- Fold in water chestnuts, green onion, additional sesame oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve wrapped in a leaf of lettuce. Top with any of the optional additional toppings.
Give it a try and hopefully you like too! I know these aren’t the greatest pictures but it is SUPER delicious and healthy!!