So if you know me at all, you know I’m OBSESSED with popcorn.
Obsessed is probably not even giving my love of popcorn justice but I can’t come up with a stronger adjective right now 🙂
My favorite popcorn topping is nutritional yeast (ummm wipe that look of your face, it’s delicious). But truth be told, I’ve never met a popcorn I didn’t really like.
One day when I was working browsing through Pinterest (but seriously how can I get a job doing that?) I came across a post on caramel popcorn. I’m more of a salty and sweet type of girl so I thought why not make salted caramel popcorn?
Well point for me! Because it turned out amazing. One tip (careful of unpopped kernals! If they’re mixed in with your caramely clusters you could hurt your teeth! ( I didn’t do that or anything…) Enjoy!! Call me cliché but I made this and ate it while watching Scandal. It was a perfect night! 🙂
12 oz. of white chocolate, melted (I prefer the chocolate blocks but chocolate chips or white candy melts will work too)
1/2 – 1cup of un-popped popcorn (measure it un-popped and then pop it)
1/2 cup of crushed candy canes(about 10 candy canes)
7-8 drops peppermint oil
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
dash of salt (optional)
Red and Green m&m’s (or any mini candy of your choice)
1. Pop your popcorn and make sure to remove all the un-popped popcorn kernels. Place in a large mixing bowl with ample room to mix. (You may have to pop the popcorn in batches depending on how much you make and your method of popping. I did it in two batches.)
2. Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are using the microwae, make sure to use it at 50% power. Seriously, it makes a WORLD of difference and you wont turn your chocolate into an unuseable burn blob within a minute….not speaking from experience or anything…….. 🙂
3. Add the peppermint oil to melted white chocolate and stir quickly. Pour over popcorn and mix it so that it is even distributed and all the popcorn is covered. Then pour the crushed candy cane peices and your candy of choice (if you’re using) into the popcorn and mix until it’s evenly all over the popcorn.
4. Spread out on a wax lined cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Add a dash of salt over the popcorn(optional)
5. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave(*remember the 50% rule!) and drizzle over the popcorn. Set aside and let the chocolate harden.
6. Break up into bite size pieces and serve /eat it all immediatly (preferred method)/ or store for later.
I am a popcorn FREAK. Seriosuly- could it eat every day. I don’t eat microwave popcorn, I honestly hateeee the taste. I grew up not eating it as my step-dad was WAYYYYY ahead of the game with the absolutely disgusting hazardous toxins that line the bag and seep into the food you ingest….serisouly if you eat microwave popcorn, STOP. Anyway, I love popcorn. This is my first time making a sweet batch of popcorn myself and it turned out amazeeeeeeeeeeeing. I could have eaten this whole thing- almost did but my sister split it with me. lol. Hope you guys enjoy, let me know what you think!
As always, thanks for reading!!
Ok- I’m not so great at delicately drizzling the chocolate over the popcorn- my bad. But still deeeelicious!