Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas
Everyone always talks about how great slow cookers are. And don’t get me wrong, I 100000% see the appeal of them but I hardly ever use them. I am gone from my house wayyyy longer than these recipes say to cook them for. I usually leave the house around 6:40 everyday and get home around 5. That’s IF I go straight to and from work- no errands or anything. Then on top of that my fiance doesn’t get home for several hours after me and I’m a big believer in eating dinner as a family, even if that is just the two of us, so I always wait for him.
People have suggested outlet timers for recipes so I can set the crock pot to start cooking half way through the day- but sorry it grosses me out to have food sitting out at room temperature for hours, so no. And yeah I know there are crock pots with self timers but I don’t have one- I’m more old school 🙂 and plus I can never shake the feeling that leaving that on all day while I’m not there, the house will burn down. Thanks a lot anxiety!
Anyway on this rare occasion I decided to whip out the ole crock pot and try this delicious recipe from Lindsay over at Pinch of Yum. I adapted a few things but but the result was still delicious!
Hope you enjoy!
- 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder
- 2-3 fresh jalapenos
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup orange juice
- 12 ounces beer
- ½ cup salsa (I used a less chunky one)
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Slice up the jalapenos how ever you want and throw them in. Roughly chop the garlic and place in the slow cooker (I actually made a couple of slits in the meat with my knife and shoved some down into the meat to get as much garlic flavor as possible, but you could just toss it in, too).
- Sprinkle the meat with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub seasonings onto the pork.
- Add the liquids and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred hunk -o- meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out & shred). It should fall apart pretty easily and be very tender.
- Preheat your oven broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top. Broil for 8-10 minutes or until you get yummy brown edges on the pork.
- Eat by itself. Kidding (kind of ) Serve on tortillas with fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime juice and any other things you want!
This was a nice easy recipe. I mean when I actually can use the crock pot to make meals I love it! I could have eaten just the meat by itself. I took some of the leftovers for lunch over rice with some black beans….deeelicious!
Thanks for stopping by and checking out Eat Laugh Craft.