Saltine Toffee Bars
Sometimes do you ever just get a sweet tooth? And nothing can satisfy it except something unhealthy? Yeah me too.
I think it’s important to treat yourself every once and a while! I love the saying, “one bad meal won’t make you make you unhealthy, just like eating one salad doesn’t make you healthy”. It’s so true- living a healthy lifestyle and being healthy doesn’t mean that you can never treat yourself. Everything in moderation.
For me, these super easy treats remind me of childhood and my and my sister working so diligently to lay out the crackers juuuuustttt right in the pan so mom could pour the “toffee” over it. Funny how little things like this spark memories right?
Well enough chitter chatter, I’m sure you’re dying to make these for yourself 🙂 So here we go!
- Saltine Crackers (1 sleeve is probably enough but this depends on your pan)
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- chopped nuts or toffee pieces for topping
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet(with sides) by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray or greasing with butter or coconut oil.
2) Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. I usually cut some in half so they fit perrrrfectly to the edges since I’m slightly OCD 🙂
3) Place the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Then carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
Put the pan in the pre-heated oven and bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Sprinkle the chocolate and peanut butter chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for a minute or two to soften and melt. Once they are softened, use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle the top with your desired toppings.
Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break or cut into small pieces and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and enjoy for up to a week.
How easy right? Plus it’s a great one to make with kids because they love helping lay out the crackers on the tray/pan. I can attest to that since It’s 20+ years later and I still remember it 🙂 This could also make a great treat to bring to a Christmas party or make a great gift!
Hope you enjoy and I hope that you have a great weekend! Make the most of it and spend time with those you love ❤
I remember laying out the crackers! And I think about baking these With you and momma all the time!! ❤
These look sooo good. A definite must this Christmas with the kiddos! Thanks for the recipe. Pinning this right now 🙂
Pingback: Rosemary Spiced Nuts | eat.laugh.craft